Pages

Friday 18 May 2012

Engagement Party: Chris and Ché



31 March 2012.

Flowers by Belinda
This was our engagement party.  Our vision of the celebration of the beginning of the next chapter of our lives.

We wanted it to be perfect and perfect it was.

Set up
We decided to hold it at my parent's home in Joburg and invite only our closest friends and family.  We decided on a formal sit down dinner but made the dress casual.  I wanted a splash of fun amid the formalities so decided on pink and polka dots.  Chris actually really liked the idea of it.  In fact he kept on suggesting more pink and polka dotty things to buy when shopping for decor.



Without the help of my mom and dad and my bridesmaid Steff, as well as my mom's friend Belinda who did our flower arrangements, I would not have been able to pull this beautiful evening together.

We did not have a planner.  In fact we did all the decor ourselves.
I wanted lots of magic.
I draped fairy lights subtly so they winked at you rather than flashed and I hung different sized chinese lanterns with lights inside from the trees and gazebo.  We also used lots of candles in hurricane lamps and tealights.  Candles are such an important part of ambiance.
G&T welcome drinks
We added balloons to the centerpiece of the tables to give that bit of a fun party vibe.  We used clear and polka dot balloons.
To the table I also added sparkles to bring in the fairytale magic.

I decided to select the photos to add to the blog from set up to the event itself.  The capturing of the creation of your event is very important.  Do not forget your camera during the course of the night.  You will regret this.  Photographs are memories that we capture.

For the flowers we decided on roses.  We had a selection of hot pink and pale pink as well as white roses.
For welcome drinks, we did gin and tonic's and put them in our front entrance courtyard.  They went down an absolute treat on the gorgeous warm day.  Welcome drinks are a wonderful way for your guests to grab their first tipple without you having to do the whole hostess thing of running around trying to fill glasses.
The finished tables
We decided on simple canape's instead of starters and for the main course my Dad made the most succulent roast beef and a melt-in-your-mouth roast lamb.  We added greek salads as well as roasted veggies,  cous-cous and roasted potatoes.
Sweetie table
Chris and I wanted to go back to the relaxed theme for desert, so we created a sweetie and ice-cream sundae table.  This drew everyone towards it like kids to a candy store (pun very much intended).  I have never seen so many adults so excited to have ice-cream.  It was a create your own vibe, so you can imagine some of the concoctions.  My mom's friend, Charmaine, furnished us with her famous bar-on chocolate sauce that was so yummy, the jugs were literally licked clean.
Me and my Daddy

For music, the good old hi-fi and an ipod did the trick.  We just used it as background music.

The pictures speak a thousand words,
 so I will leave it at that.

Some of the photography courtesy of James Black.
The welcoming committee










Stealing a kiss
Me and my Mommy
Chris and his best man Gareth
My brother Dean and Ant
Bride, Best Man, Bridesmaid



Mom and Dad making their toast
Elle making sure she got her ice cream
The Cigar Lounge
My brother, Dean
Tracey the Maid of Honor and I













Janine (bridesmaid) and I





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...